Monday, February 13, 2012

Chalk Paint tutorial


 Annie Sloan Chalk paint is all the rage!  All I've been hearing about is this paint.  I had to give it a try.
I purchased two Annie Sloan books on Amazon.  After reviewing the books I decided to give it a go.
I purchased two quarts of paint in Old White and Duck Egg.  I also purchased the  clear wax.
I have dark Vella Wax in my work shop and decided to try it with the paint, as well.  I created three different sample boards (shown above) with the paint that I ordered.  


The sample above was painted with Duck Egg.  There was no need for priming.  Just brush two coats of the paint onto the surface.  After the paint completely dried I sanded the paint slightly to distress.  After cleaning the excess dust, I then made a very watery mix of the  Old White and color washed the Duck Egg.  After that dried thoroughly, I waxed with the Annie Sloan clear wax.  I then buffed after the wax dried.    

The above sample was painted with two coats of Old White.  I sanded the brush marks out and cleaned the excess dust off.  I then waxed it with Vella dark wax.  I already had this in my studio.  I think it looks very good over the chalk paint.  I love how the wax left a soft profile in  the crevices of the molding.

The final sample was first painted with two coats of Duck Egg.  I then sanded the brush marks out and cleaned the excess dust.  I then sealed the Duck Egg with the Annie Sloan clear soft wax.  After it dried I painted two coats of Old White.  I sanded down to reveal the duck Egg in some places.  I cleaned the excess dust off and sealed with a coat of dark Vella Wax.

I have to say, I really enjoyed using this paint.  It feels very smooth to the touch and sands incredibly!
It is a great tool to achieve a distressed, shabby chic, or french look!      I can't wait to find the perfect furniture piece to make my mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment