Sunday, February 26, 2012

French Inspired Writing Desk

I love transformations.  I love to see something before and watch it blossom into something new and improved.  I was excited when I found several worn pieces (with good bones) at a hotel 
liquidation sale.  All together there were 9 separate pieces.  I have plenty of surfaces to change and to document the end results.  


Photo of the desk.



Close up of the worn top. 



The painting process begins.  I used Olympic Gold paint by Modern Masters to highlight
the edges.  Believable Buff paint by Sherwin Williams to paint the main bod of the desk and Tricorn Black from Sherwin Williams as an accent color.


   
When I paint a rectangular surface I like to work from the outside to the inside.  It makes it much easier to get perfectly straight lines with the tape.  I like to use Frog tape.  For this project I used the low tack yellow Frog Tape.  



See, perfectly straight lines!



I hand painted the fleur de lis onto the surface.



I then hand painted the words.  The phrase is actually just the definition of Fleur De Lis translated in french.  I looked it up in english and then used a free online translator to translate the english version into french.  I played around with different layouts until I found one that I liked the best.  I transferred the words onto desk top and then hand painted the letters.  
I, being the queen of china crackle, applied a layer of china crackle by Modern Masters and then antiqued with the antiquing gel that came with the china crackle kit.  
  
  

Here is a close up of the hand painted fleur de lis that I painted on each corner of the desk.



Here it is...ready for a good home!



 Close up of the drawer.


Close up of the Fleur de Lis.

Thanks so much for checking out my blog!  Let me know what you think of the desk!

Sheri

2 comments:

  1. Sheri, thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Your desk looks amazing! I've only been blogging since May (not even a year!) but I've learned so much since then. I know you will, too, and it's a fun process. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Kristen! I would love to grab your button once I figure out how to do so. I've been trying to teach myself this crazy technical stuff. So much to learn! The painting comes natural, it is all I've known for fifteen years!

    ReplyDelete