Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bathroom cabinet update

 This is a bathroom cabinet that I  have painted.  I love the rich turquoise/teal pieces that are every where. I decided that it was time to start incorporating these colors into my home.  The bathroom cabinet was starting to show some wear and tear and needed a face lift.  I started by taking the doors off of the frame.  I cleaned the cabinet doors from any dirt or grime by using denatured alcohol.  I then sanded the surface to break up the existing varnish coat and prep the surface for primer.   I have very good luck using Sherwin Williams products.  I removed all of the existing dust by using a tack cloth.  I used the bonding primer and put a coat all over the entire base unit and doors.  After the primer was completely dry I then applied Modern Masters Iron paint to the outside frame of the doors.  I also applied the iron paint randomly to the metal hardware and embellishment purchased at Hobby Lobby.   See photos below.





 After the iron paint dried, I painted the base unit and inset area of the doors with the color Surfer by Sherwin Williams.  In between coats of the Surfer color color I sprayed the Modern Masters rust activator onto the iron paint.  As it dries it rusts into the orangey color above. I do it between coats because the activator can potentially leave white streaks onto the paint.  The second coat covers any sign of white streaks.   Several hours later I went ahead and put another coat of paint onto the doors.  I am big fan of china crackle.  I decided to add more depth onto the fronts of the cabinets by applying the Modern Masters china crackle system to the cabinet fronts.  First I started with the base coat.  I brushed the medium on quickly applying a generous amount of the product. Don't go too heavy but definitely use enough to cover the entire surface without  having the product drag or stretch out.  It is also a good idea to try and get a similar coverage over the entire surface.   The surface needs to dry for at least 30 minutes.  The surface should be tacky but not wet when touched.   I then applied the second step of the china crackle kit.  This is a clear varnish like product that glides on smoothly.  Apply the product quickly and evenly trying not to brush back and forth into the product.  Do not go back in to the product after it starts drying up.  You will get blotchy uneven areas!



                                        
 After the second coat of crackle medium dries up, tiny cracks appear everywhere.  I used the Modern Masters dark crackle enhancer to really make the cracks stand out.  I pretty much just used a chip brush and and spread the enhancer allover the surface.  I then wiped some off with a dry towel.  The dark enhancer remained in the crevices.  I then applied the iron decorative pieces to the unit using a hammer and decorative small nail heads.  I also used the crackle enhancer to tone down the rusted metal as well as the rust on the door fronts.  After that I made a glaze using the crackle enhancer and a little bit of Modern Masters paint extender and glazed the rest of the unit applying it in a linear style.  The next day, I varnished the unit with a water based product made by Coronado.    



 Next week, my husband and I, are going to go shopping to buy a new granite vanity top and vessel bowl.  I will post pictures as soon as it gets installed.    I also plan on painting the walls a soft cream and over glazing with a brown.  I want to have a rustic and worn feeling in that room.

I would love to hear what you think about about my vanity!  Please leave me your comments!
Until next time, Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment